- Case counts as of March 13, 2020:
- China: 80,813 cases; 3,176 deaths
- Asia & Oceania: 10,401 cases; 110 deaths (South Korea – 67)
- Europe: 34,033 cases; 1,461 deaths (Italy – 1,266)
- Middle East: 12,217 cases; 526 deaths (Iran – 514)
- Africa: 154 cases; 4 deaths
- Latin America and Caribbean: 273 cases; 2 deaths
- North America: 1,920 cases
- United States – 1,762 cases; 41 deaths
- Canada – 158 cases; 1 death
- 20 new cases were reported today in Ontario, bringing the cumulative total to 79 (this includes 5 resolved cases).
- In Ontario, there are 580 persons under investigation with lab results pending.
- The Government of Canada announced that a second person from the Grand Princess cruise ship who is currently in quarantine at CFB Trenton has tested positive for COVID-19.
- The Government of Canada has warned against all international travel. All travellers arriving in Canada from international points are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days as a precaution.
- The ministry revised the COVID-19 case definition to clarify who should be tested. We are asking all providers not to test asymptomatic individuals.
- The Chief Medical Officer of Health issued a memo (attached) discussing Enhanced Public Health measures for COVID-19. Highlights from this memo include:
- Advising the people of Ontario to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada. If you decide to travel outside of Canada with children, they will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days upon return.
- Similar to recent guidance for long-term care and retirement homes, all licensed child care centres are asked to actively screen children, parents, staff and visitors for any symptoms and travel history that may be related to COVID-19 based on the ministry’s case definition.
- Recommending the immediate suspension of all large events and public gatherings of over 250 people. Organizers who have questions about smaller gatherings are encouraged to contact their local public health unit.
- The Chief Medical Officer of Health also issued a memo to Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes, Supportive Housing, Hospices and other congregate care settings on allowing only essential visitors.
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch
Visit https://sefpo.org/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19/ for more information on the The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), including situation reports and related news,