- Case counts as of March 18, 2020:
- China: 80,894 cases; 3,237 deaths
- Asia & Oceania: 13,158 cases; 170 deaths (South Korea – 84)
- Europe: 80,355 cases; 3,445 deaths (Italy – 2,503)
- Middle East: 19,501; 1,152 deaths (Iran – 1,135)
- Africa: 591 cases; 14 deaths
- Latin America and Caribbean: 1,322 cases; 8 deaths
- North America: 6,924 cases
- United States – 6,332 cases; 107 deaths
- Canada – 614 cases; 8 deaths
- 22 new cases were reported today in Ontario, bringing the cumulative total to 211 (this includes five resolved cases and one death).
· In Ontario, there are 3380 persons under investigation with lab results pending.
- Several important guidance documents, directives, and memorandums are attached to today’s Situation Report:
- Guidance documents for Food Premises and Personal Service Settings
- The ministry’s Emergency Health Services Division has released a memo regarding the Provincial Transfer Authorization Centre (PTAC). To further enhance Ontario’s ability to track and manage COVID-19, the memo instructs all Ontario hospitals to obtain an interfacility transfer authorization number through PTAC for all interfacility transfers, including emergency transfers.
- Canadian Blood Services is issuing an advisory to hospitals predicting the potential for shortages due to a significant number of collections cancellations related to COVID-19. Hospitals are asked to ensure the utilization of all blood components follow best practice. The National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products has developed a checklist and list of considerations. The National Emergency Blood Management Committee also developed a poster.
- A Cyber advisory has been shared with the health system to highlight increased phishing and malicious activity using the COVID19/ CORONA Pandemic as a lure. It is strongly recommended that organizations follow email hygiene/ phishing best practices to defend against this increased activity.
- A summary of today’s Command Table meeting is attached.
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch